bold, italic and position of the window

satimis
Hi folks,

# cat helloworld.cs

 using System;
using Gtk;

public class GtkHelloWorld {

public static void Main() {
     Application.Init();

//Create the Window
     Window myWin = new Window("My first GTK# Application! ");
     myWin.Resize(200,200);

//Create a label and put some text in it.
     Label myLabel = new Label();
     myLabel.Text = "Hello World!!!!";

//Add the label to the form
     myWin.Add(myLabel);

//Show Everything
     myWin.ShowAll();

     Application.Run();
}
}
- end -

How to bold and italic the text;
Hello World!!!!

How to make the window popup in the centre of the screen?  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L

Re: bold, italic and position of the window

Alexander Shulgin-2
On 23.04.2010 17:42, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> # cat helloworld.cs

Try rm -rf /

;)

On 23.04.2010 17:50, Stephen Liu wrote:

> [...]

The '#' command prompt means you are logged in as root.  Try the above
command -- and it will remedy all of your current issues with Mono! :)

Re: bold, italic and position of the window

satimis

>> Sorry I don't follow.  Please explain in more detail.  Thanks

> The '#' command prompt means you are logged in as root.  Try the above
> command -- and it will remedy all of your current issues with Mono! :)

Sorry it was my typing mistake.  I tried all command as user NOT as root

B.R.
SL

Re: bold, italic and position of the window

Miguel de Icaza
> Hi folks,
>

> # cat helloworld.cs

Try rm -rf /

Not funny, and not appropriate for the Mono user's mailing list.

Miguel.

Re: bold, italic and position of the window

Miguel de Icaza

How to bold and italic the text;
Hello World!!!!

Do this:

var label = new Label () {
    UseMarkup = true,
    Text = "Hello <b>Bold world</b>
};

Miguel.

Re: bold, italic and position of the window

Daniel Soto
Don't feed the troll.

2010/4/23 Alexander Shulgin <[hidden email]>

Andy York-2
Here are a couple of links that I find handy for manipulating text:
http://www.mono-project.com/Pango:Beginners
These are non-Mono but the rules for Pango formatting tends to work the
same across languages
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?pango-markup
http://library.gnome.org/devel/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html

BTW if you haven't already figured it out don't ever run a command as
root unless you look it up first or you know exactly what it does.
Suggesting (rm -rf /) was not funny at all. Here is a helpful command
reference if you need it http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm.

I hope that helps

SpoodyGoon

On 4/23/2010 10:42 AM, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> # cat helloworld.cs
>
>   using System;
> using Gtk;
>
> public class GtkHelloWorld {
>
> public static void Main() {
>       Application.Init();
>
> //Create the Window
>       Window myWin = new Window("My first GTK# Application! ");
>       myWin.Resize(200,200);
>
> //Create a label and put some text in it.
>       Label myLabel = new Label();
>       myLabel.Text = "Hello World!!!!";
>
> //Add the label to the form
>       myWin.Add(myLabel);
>
> //Show Everything
>       myWin.ShowAll();
>
>       Application.Run();
> }
> }
> - end -
>

> How to bold and italic the text;
> Hello World!!!!
>
> How to make the window popup in the centre of the screen?  TIA
>

> B.R.
> Stephen L

Re: bold, italic and position of the window

satimis
Hi SpoodyGoon,

> Here are a couple of links that I find handy for manipulating text:
> http://www.mono-project.com/Pango:Beginners
> These are non-Mono but the rules for Pango formatting tends to work the
> same across languages
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?pango-markup
>http://library.gnome.org/devel/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html

Thanks for your links.  Choosing the right direction to start the learning journey is quite import to beginners.  I prefer to start my journey following examples first and coming back to theory later.  It'll will be easier to learn a new programming language.  Rather than the other way round.  It'll be too tire easily loosing interest.

> BTW if you haven't already figured it out don't ever run a command as
> root unless you look it up first or you know exactly what it does.
> Suggesting (rm -rf /) was not funny at all. Here is a helpful command
> reference if you need it http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm.

> I hope that helps

> SpoodyGoon

Thanks for your advice and link.  The command (rm -rf /) will delete the HD/OS completely without asking a question.  I used it quite often removing directories, subdirectories and their contents on building my own Linux/Unix OS, LinuxFromScratch several years back.  This is a handy Unix command.

In that incident I thought the email deleting part of the content advised by the folk.  I never came across and/or imagine this will happen in a mailing list. I'm working, testing Mono and replying postings on a guest (VM) of a virtual machine. If unfornately I ran that command it only deleted the guest, not the complete box.

Anyway thanks again for your advice.

B.R.
SL

On 24.04.2010 4:19, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi SpoodyGoon,
>
>> Here are a couple of links that I find handy for manipulating text:
>> http://www.mono-project.com/Pango:Beginners
>> These are non-Mono but the rules for Pango formatting tends to work the
>> same across languages
>> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?pango-markup
>> http://library.gnome.org/devel/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html
>
> Thanks for your links.  Choosing the right direction to start the learning journey is quite import to beginners.  I prefer to start my journey following examples first and coming back to theory later.  It'll will be easier to learn a new programming language.  Rather than the other way round.  It'll be too tire easily loosing interest.
>

>> BTW if you haven't already figured it out don't ever run a command as
>> root unless you look it up first or you know exactly what it does.
>> Suggesting (rm -rf /) was not funny at all. Here is a helpful command
>> reference if you need it http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm.
>
>> I hope that helps
>
>> SpoodyGoon
>
> Thanks for your advice and link.  The command (rm -rf /) will delete the HD/OS completely without asking a question.  I used it quite often removing directories, subdirectories and their contents on building my own Linux/Unix OS, LinuxFromScratch several years back.  This is a handy Unix command.
>
> In that incident I thought the email deleting part of the content advised by the folk.  I never came across and/or imagine this will happen in a mailing list. I'm working, testing Mono and replying postings on a guest (VM) of a virtual machine. If unfornately I ran that command it only deleted the guest, not the complete box.
>
> Anyway thanks again for your advice.

I feel I must apologize for my misbehavior.  I'm really sorry.

I just thought at that moment that this would teach you to dig at least
a tiniest bit on the subject before going out and asking so basic
questions in a so general mailing list.

I was in bad mood and didn't want to offend or hurt anyone.  Sorry, again.

Alex