Xamarin’s upcoming profiler - How to get my hands on it?

Xamarin’s upcoming profiler - How to get my hands on it?

Esben Laursen
Hi guys at Zamarin,

In the release notes of 3.6.0, these bullets got my attention..

* Runtime performance counters have been integrated into the profiler
allowing the performance counter information to be
surfaced to profiling tools and in particular in Xamarin’s
upcoming profiler.

* The profiler now produces backtrace for statistical mode.

Is there any information available on that, will it be open-source, or
will it be commercial licensed? If so, at what price?

I am not developing mobile apps, but a "service" app that I run under
Debian (currently at 3.4.0), but I am trying to track down some memory
leaks for a long time, but I have so far been unable to use the current
profiler tool to find it.

So any information is really appreciated! I would love to take it for a
spin if possible..

Cheers

Esben

Re: Xamarin’s upcoming profiler - How to get my hands on it?

Miguel de Icaza-5
Hello,

Our new profiler UI will be part of our commercial offerings.   We didnt have plans to sell it separately from our mobile products, but thanks for bringing this up, we will take this into consideration.

You will at least be able to take the profiling data collected in Debian and use it with our profiler.

Miguel

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:19 AM, Esben Laursen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for replying, I was just wondering how far into the future you plan on releasing this? Is there a "beta" program?

Also an option to buy the profiler only would be great, as we have no plans of doing mobile apps and yes, I guess that there are a few people like us out there using mono for applications in Linux only..

Also a commercial support for mono on non-mobile would be nice..

Cheers

Esben

Den 14-08-2014 17:47, Miguel de Icaza skrev:
[...]

nedry
To add my two cents, I'm also very interested in these kinds of tools. While we already buy Xamarin licenses, we also use Mono on Linux a lot, and have even more interest in profiling there because we do some pretty intensive stuff. We're building large-scale interactive "smart" displays that can be used in concert with mobile apps. Using C# for the whole ecosystem is hugely advantageous.

We already use Macs for mobile stuff, so shipping profiler data over to a Mac isn't a big problem for us. But I just wanted to "+1" the Linux thing -- I think with things like MVC6 and HyperFastCgi in the works, as well as the revitalized web site, there could be an uptick in Mono-on-Linux usage.We look at Mono and Xamarin together as one ecosystem, each part solving part of our needs. More people may start to recognize the potential there.

- Brett

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Esben Laursen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Grzegorz Sobanski-2
W dniu 2014-08-14 22:39, Esben Laursen pisze:
> Also an option to buy the profiler only would be great, as we have no
> plans of doing mobile apps and yes, I guess that there are a few people
> like us out there using mono for applications in Linux only..

Definitely. My team would be interested in profiler only package.

Best regards
Grzegorz