Quantcast

Wayland support

tamatura
Hi EQ,

I am evaluating a remote rendering application. Issue is that it needs to support Wayland and not using X. Is Wayland rendering supported yet? Or is it tied to X and GLX etc?

Thanks,
Shreesh

Re: Wayland support

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Shreesh,

On 21. Dec 2015, at 8:28, tamatura [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am evaluating a remote rendering application. Issue is that it needs to support Wayland and not using X. Is Wayland rendering supported yet? Or is it tied to X and GLX etc?

We do not support Wayland yet, but the windowing system is relatively well separated. You might have luck with the Qt window system on Wayland, otherwise somebody needs to write a new Wayland window system for Equalizer.

Cheers,

Stefan.

--
http://www.eyescale.ch
https://github.com/Eyescale/

Re: Wayland support

tamatura
Hi Stefan,
Oh - that should be fine. Using Qt I mean. I wanted to ensure the render logic is not in any way tied to GLX which I believe then needs the XServer. As long as there is no dependency for the core render/communication to X and needing an Xserver for that - thats fine I think. The windowing is quite fine since we would be using Qt anyway through our third party software. So, my understanding from your response is that the only place X is used is for the windowing right?

Thanks,
Shreesh

Re: Wayland support

Stefan Eilemann

On 21. Dec 2015, at 9:27, tamatura [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to ensure the render logic is not in any way tied to GLX which I believe then needs the XServer.

The render logic is only tied to OpenGL, and even that can be changed (not too easily). There are applications using Equalizer for CPU-based raytracing.

> So, my understanding from your response is that the only place X is used is for the windowing right?

Correct, that includes window setup, OpenGL context creation, and event handling. To date there are GLX, AGL, WGL and Qt window systems implemented.

Cheers,

Stefan.

--
http://www.eyescale.ch
https://github.com/Eyescale/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eilemann

Re: Wayland support

tamatura
Hi Stefan,
Thats excellent then.
Just one more question: is there an example of a remote rendering application?
Essentially, we need to do standard display wall type application i.e. execute on a node/s and render onto selected target displays which may or may not be directly attached to the node/s - I mean the remote displays available via an IP network. The target displays will be intelligent i.e. CPU/GPU onboard. I guess we would have the render clients running there by EQ terminology.

And finally: is the transparent mode been implemented yet via Chromium or other?

Thanks,
Shreesh

Re: Wayland support

Stefan Eilemann

https://github.com/BlueBrain/DisplayCluster#readme ?

> And finally: is the transparent mode been implemented yet via Chromium or other?

No, no transparent mode has been implemented, and likely won’t happen.

Cheers,

Stefan.