Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

alinakipoglu
Hi,

I have 1 server, 2 gpu (Ati w9000), 12 Portrait monitor, 2 windows multi view setup.

First window (A) must be spanning to 7 monitors and the other (B) to 5 monitors. Since my GPU's got only 6 outputs im thinking to make something like this (But i dont know if its the correct way or not.)

Window A
    GPU1
      Monitor 1 to 6
    GPU2
      Monitor 7

Window B
    GPU2
      Monitor 8 to 12

- What configuration i need to do to get this working?
- Do i have to stick with configuration file? Is it possible to configure this with Administrative API only?
- Do i need to anything special to handle Monitor 7 case (Is GPU1 and GPU2 will be sharing data to achieve this?)
- Any other suggestion/comment will be appreciated.

Ali

Re: Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Ali,

On 23. May 2014, at 15:28, alinakipoglu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have 1 server, 2 gpu (Ati w9000), 12 Portrait monitor, 2 windows multi
> view setup.
>
> First window (A) must be spanning to 7 monitors and the other (B) to 5
> monitors. Since my GPU's got only 6 outputs im thinking to make something
> like this (But i dont know if its the correct way or not.)
>
> Window A
>    GPU1
>      Monitor 1 to 6
>    GPU2
>      Monitor 7
>
> Window B
>    GPU2
>      Monitor 8 to 12
>
> - What configuration i need to do to get this working?
Depends. The two windows are two separate, planar views or one non-planar view?

> - Do i have to stick with configuration file? Is it possible to configure
> this with Administrative API only?

I strongly suggest the config file. Much easier to change and fully supported feature-wise.

> - Do i need to anything special to handle Monitor 7 case (Is GPU1 and GPU2
> will be sharing data to achieve this?)
> - Any other suggestion/comment will be appreciated.

HTH,

Stefan.

Re: Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

alinakipoglu
Hi Stefan thanks for the replay.

Yes they are planar (2d large objects). I also noticed that i forgot say that i have single application for both windows and each window has distinct content.

On 23. May 2014, at 15:40, alinakipoglu [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stefan thanks for the replay.
>
> Yes they are planar (2d large objects). I also noticed that i forgot say that i have single application for both windows and each window has distinct content.
> First window (A) must be spanning to 7 monitors and the other (B) to 5
> monitors. Since my GPU's got only 6 outputs im thinking to make something
> like this (But i dont know if its the correct way or not.)
>
> Window A
>   GPU1
>     Monitor 1 to 6
>   GPU2
>     Monitor 7
>
> Window B
>   GPU2
>     Monitor 8 to 12
In this case, simply create one pipe/window for Monitor 1-6 and one for 7-12, lay them out using a canvas with two segment and then create a two-view layout which creates the logical views, similar to the 3x1 layout in 2-window.layout.eqc

HTH,

Stefan.
--
http://www.eyescale.ch
https://github.com/Eyescale/

Re: Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

alinakipoglu
Stefan Eilemann wrote
On 23. May 2014, at 15:40, alinakipoglu [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stefan thanks for the replay.
>
> Yes they are planar (2d large objects). I also noticed that i forgot say that i have single application for both windows and each window has distinct content.
> First window (A) must be spanning to 7 monitors and the other (B) to 5
> monitors. Since my GPU's got only 6 outputs im thinking to make something
> like this (But i dont know if its the correct way or not.)
>
> Window A
>   GPU1
>     Monitor 1 to 6
>   GPU2
>     Monitor 7
>
> Window B
>   GPU2
>     Monitor 8 to 12

In this case, simply create one pipe/window for Monitor 1-6 and one for 7-12, lay them out using a canvas with two segment and then create a two-view layout which creates the logical views, similar to the 3x1 layout in 2-window.layout.eqc

HTH,

Stefan.
--
http://www.eyescale.ch
https://github.com/Eyescale/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eilemann

signature.asc (858 bytes) <http://software.1713.n2.nabble.com/attachment/7585654/0/signature.asc>
Thanks for suggestions. I will be using that setup.

I have couple more questions:

In my application i will be drawing a separate scene graph for each window. After i get this Equalizer  configuration working im i going to have an OpenGL context and a thread created for each window?

To have a valid resource (Textures, VBO, FBO, etc.) creation procedure on the main thread (where i have interaction, scene graph manipulations and application logic) do you advice to have a shared context on the main thread for each renderer context created by the Equalizer?

If im not wrong, this way i can manipulate my scene graph directly and all resources will be valid. The only thing i need is to share the scene graph between threads and sharing OpenGL resources between contexts. I dont know if there is a better way to design a solution for this problem? Any other suggestions with Equalizer?

Note : Im developing only for windows...

On 23. May 2014, at 18:31, alinakipoglu [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my application i will be drawing a separate scene graph for each window. After i get this Equalizer  configuration working im i going to have an OpenGL context and a thread created for each window?

Context are per window, threads are per pipe (GPU).

> To have a valid resource (Textures, VBO, FBO, etc.) creation procedure on the main thread (where i have interaction, scene graph manipulations and application logic) do you advice to have a shared context on the main thread for each renderer context created by the Equalizer?

You should really manage your GL objects per GPU (pipe thread), once for thread-safety reasons, and more importantly because they are distinct for each GPU. Interactions, SG manipulation and other application logic should not need a GL context.

> If im not wrong, this way i can manipulate my scene graph directly and all resources will be valid. The only thing i need is to share the scene graph between threads and sharing OpenGL resources between contexts. I dont know if there is a better way to design a solution for this problem? Any other suggestions with Equalizer?

Typically you do have a GL state/context object independent of the SG used by the render traversal, of which you also need to have at lease one per GPU. In short, you have one SG and one render visitor + GL state object per pipe render thread. The core SG typically does not know anything about OpenGL.

HTH,

Stefan.

--
http://www.eyescale.ch
https://github.com/Eyescale/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eilemann

Re: Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

alinakipoglu
Hi Thanks a lot Stefan,

Im still trying to build Equalizer with Visual Studio 2012. I followed steps provided here for Buildyard

http://campar.in.tum.de/Main/EqualizerGithub

The steps i did :

- Download and install Boost binary
- Add boost dir into environment variables
- Install Cmake and Git
- Open Command Line
- Cd to Buildyard Dir
- execute "cmake ."

After i got visual studio solution (2012)

Build ALL_BUILD

Im getting this error :

 CMake Error at CMake/FindPackages.cmake:21 (find_package):
9>    By not providing "FindLunchbox.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
9>    asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "Lunchbox",
9>    but CMake did not find one.
9>
9>    Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Lunchbox"
9>    (requested version 1.8.0) with any of the following names:
9>
9>      LunchboxConfig.cmake
9>      lunchbox-config.cmake
9>
9>    Add the installation prefix of "Lunchbox" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
9>    "Lunchbox_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
9>    "Lunchbox" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
9>    been installed.

Stefan Eilemann wrote

signature.asc (858 bytes) <http://software.1713.n2.nabble.com/attachment/7585693/0/signature.asc>

On 2. Jun 2014, at 16:29, alinakipoglu [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Build ALL_BUILD
>
> Im getting this error :
>
>  CMake Error at CMake/FindPackages.cmake:21 (find_package):

I guess that's a downstream project not building. Did Lunchbox build and install itself into Build/install?

Cheers,

Stefan.

Re: Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

alinakipoglu
As far as i can see i have Lunchbox folder in the build folder. Its got some files including Include folder.. But no Lib.

Stefan Eilemann wrote

signature.asc (858 bytes) <http://software.1713.n2.nabble.com/attachment/7585695/0/signature.asc>

Re: Suggestion for 12 monitor, 2 windows setup

alinakipoglu
Hi Stefan,

Any advice about this?

alinakipoglu wrote