Mono Project website

Bob Summerwill

I am sorry to say that the Mono Project website is not in a very state, is
it?

    http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

There are various dead-links, references to Novell, and the front-page is an
advertizement for Xamarin's commercial products.     I would like to
volunteer to give it a little bit of love, and perhaps other people would
like to help me?

Hey Xamarin-monkey-buddies - Where is the source code for this website
hosted?    Is it on github somewhere?    I would like to fork it, fix the
front-page to HOOF all Xamarin and Novell references out of there, and
create some kind of "Commercial extensions" page which can list Xamarin
products, and other interesting .NET / Mono products which are built ON TOP
of the Mono runtime.     I'll fix up any obvious broken links as well.

Looks like http://monodevelop.com/ might need some of the same, but that can
wait for now.

Cheers,
Bob Summerwill
Kitsilano Software Inc

Cheers,
Bob

Re: Mono Project website

Bob Summerwill

"They" presumably being Xamarin?

It doesn't strike me as a particularly open-source approach to be reliant on
a particular company to maintain the open source project's website.
Website development is something which is way easier for everybody to
contribute to than automation.

Let me ask again, Xamarin-monkey-buddies ... where is the source code for
the website, and please can we open that up for development from anybody who
is interested in helping?    Like me!

Just to be clear ... I am not implying anything sinister here, just pointing
out that the line between Mono Project and Xamarin doesn't appear to have
been drawn particularly clearly, probably mainly because of the history of
the project.    Let's all improve the lines together, eh?    It will make
things better for everyone.

Cheers,
Bob

Re: Mono Project website

Martin Thwaites
They == "mono contributors"... or at least that's what I assumed...

I can agree that some sort of collaborative element is needed, but there also needs to be someone (or an entity) that takes control and drives it.  That, at the moment, is Xamarin.

That said, if it's down on their agenda, there is an argument to open source what they have so far and let us (the community) contribute.

Thanks,
Martin

On 16 June 2014 08:30, bobsummerwill <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Edward Ned Harvey (mono)
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:mono-list-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of bobsummerwill
>
> "They" presumably being Xamarin?
>
> It doesn't strike me as a particularly open-source approach to be reliant on
> a particular company to maintain the open source project's website.

Forget the website.  What about the source code?  Presently, create a bug in bugzilla, you fork mono, you make some changes, create a pull request, reference the pull request in the bug report and vice-versa, and never hear back.  And in my case, the company I work for are paying customers of Xamarin, so a few weeks later I called up the support line, said there's a bug in mono, and I wrote a patch, and submitted the pull request, and it just needs to be accepted...  And the response was akin to "we'll eventually get to it," and "It's not top priority right now."

It's still good, and it still gets contributions from a bunch of people around the world, but yes, the vast majority is Xamarin, and yes, there's significant barrier to community contribution.

Re: Mono Project website

Edward Ned Harvey (mono)
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> We have the same issues as paying customers , in the end we just forked and
> updated our own repo as we don't have time to wait forever until we get
> approved for the pull request

In our case, there's a fatal security bug - not one that compromises security, but one that makes the SslStream communications fail - so we had to create our own fork, and we have to continue maintaining our fork, building and distributing our customized version of mono to our customers.  That was about 2 months ago.

Re: Mono Project website

Martin Thwaites

I'm assuming that this doesn't affect anything Xamarin might use...

It's quite interesting as I'm assuming that most areas of mono are maintained by a Xamarin employee.  The question would be whether these folks are allocated any time to look at community patches, or whether they have to find time among the company's priorities, or whether they have to do this in their own time.

I suppose this is the issue with Xamarin employees being the sole person who can merge these fixes.  The issue though, Xamarin is hiring all the people who can do it! (not that it's a bad thing, people gotta eat after all).

I don't know the way forward, just making observations.

On 16 Jun 2014 17:30, "Edward Ned Harvey (mono)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> We have the same issues as paying customers , in the end we just forked and
> updated our own repo as we don't have time to wait forever until we get
> approved for the pull request

In our case, there's a fatal security bug - not one that compromises security, but one that makes the SslStream communications fail - so we had to create our own fork, and we have to continue maintaining our fork, building and distributing our customized version of mono to our customers.  That was about 2 months ago.

Re: Mono Project website

Alexander Köplinger
FYI, I'm working on the new Mono website for Xamarin (in my free time, as a
contributor).
It is open source on GitHub: https://github.com/mono/website , preview at
http://mono.github.io/website .

This is still a work-in-progress, though, but feel free to let me know what
you think ;-)

Re: Mono Project website

Martin Thwaites
That looks pretty awesome already.

I've not done any Ruby (happy to learn), however, I'm familiar with Bootstrap.  If there is an area that I could help out with then by all means let me know.  Even if it's as mundane as validating and porting some of the old docs.

Anyway, great job (not that praise from me means much if anything...).

Thanks
Martin

On 17 June 2014 14:50, akoeplinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI, I'm working on the new Mono website for Xamarin (in my free time, as a
contributor).
It is open source on GitHub: https://github.com/mono/website , preview at
http://mono.github.io/website .

This is still a work-in-progress, though, but feel free to let me know what
you think ;-)

Re: Mono Project website

Miguel de Icaza-5
I am sorry to say that the Mono Project website is not in a very state, is
it?

    http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

There are various dead-links, references to Novell, and the front-page is an
advertizement for Xamarin's commercial products.     I would like to
volunteer to give it a little bit of love, and perhaps other people would
like to help me?

It is being worked on.

The current content is on MediaWiki, and the problem that we had with MediaWiki is that keeping it open meant that someone had to be on call to remove spam, hack attempts and plain misinformation being added to the site.   So since we migrated the contents, it has remained closed.

It is suboptimal.

So we are converting the data to some text format and rendering it statically, and when this is all said and done, it will live on GitHub, where we can more easily deal with the above problems.

Miguel

Re: Mono Project website

Alexander Köplinger
Great!

A little background info: the site uses Jekyll (http://jekyllrb.com), a
static site generator.
Jekyll is supported natively by GitHub Pages, which means they'll run the
generation and push the result to their CDN on every commit to the
repository. That should also allow for a pretty smooth editing experience
for contributors, as clicking the "edit" button on the respective page on
GitHub automatically prepares a pull request - all from the web UI.
For larger contributions it'll make more sense to preview locally, so I'll
add some instructions how to setup Jekyll to the readme later.

The front-end uses Zurb Foundation (similar to Bootstrap).

All content of the old site is in /old_site and I've migrated most of the
relevant pages (well, those that seemed relevant to me) to /docs with a new
structure. Some pages where I'm still not sure where to put them are in
/docs/_doc_candidates.

Question: does the new structure under /docs make sense? I think we'll
replicate that structure on the documentation landing page in some way, e.g.
links to the getting started guides etc.

As others have noted, many pages are severly outdated or contain invalid
links. Fixing that will be the next step, but I'd appreciate some feedback
whether the structure makes sense so far.

-- Alex

Re: Mono Project website

Bob Summerwill

Great to hear,  Miguel.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Bob

On Jun 17, 2014 7:30 AM, "Miguel de Icaza" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

alessandro binhara-2
hoo... the is a good News...

sound of the Brazilian community of Mono (monobrasil)

I have an interest in keeping the version in Portuguese Brazil website
at: www.monobrasil.com.br

Do you give me permission to contribute content in English and power
maintain translation to portuguese version?

FYI, I'm working on the new Mono website for Xamarin (in my free time, as a
contributor).
It is open source on GitHub: https://github.com/mono/website , preview at
http://mono.github.io/website .

This is still a work-in-progress, though, but feel free to let me know what
you think ;-)

Re: Mono Project website

alessandro binhara-2
hello alex ..

We start use jekyll at monobrasil website.
we help to constructo a new mono Project website and translate it to portuguese

Many peolpe here in brazil , looking for a mono documentation about mono.

its a good oportunity to reboot a monobrasil comunity