Installing on Mac OS X

Stefan Eilemann-2
Friends of bitten fruits,

The preferred installation procedure for Equalizer, Lunchbox, gpusd and VMMLib 1.4 on your favorite operating system is now MacPorts. This allows easy installation for you, and easy third-party dependency management for us.

Everything you need should be explained here: https://github.com/Eyescale/portfiles#readme

Please let me know if you run into any trouble.

Cheers,

Stefan.

Re: Installing on Mac OS X

Nash
Hey Stefan,

Apologies if this is obvious, I'm new to macports , having moved from homebrew recently.

I've just tried to do this using macports, but alas, following your instructions results in an error when macports attempts to find vmmlib.

Is there a step missing from the instructions?

Error is listed below.

Best,

Nash

----

Error:

--->  Computing dependencies for VMMLib
--->  Fetching distfiles for VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://aarnet.au.distfiles.macports.org/pub/macports/mpdistfiles/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://jog.id.distfiles.macports.org/macports/mpdistfiles/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://distfiles.macports.org/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://cjj.kr.distfiles.macports.org/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from https://github.com/Eyescale/VMMLib/tarball/release-1.4.0
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://ykf.ca.distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/mpdistfiles/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://lil.fr.distfiles.macports.org/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://fco.it.distfiles.macports.org/mirrors/macports-distfiles/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://mse.uk.distfiles.macports.org/sites/distfiles.macports.org/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/mirrors/macports/mpdistfiles/VMMLib
--->  Attempting to fetch VMMLib-1.4.0.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/VMMLib
Error: org.macports.fetch for port VMMLib returned: fetch failed
Please see the log file for port VMMLib for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_Users_ntra_dev_EyeScale_portfiles_ports_devel_VMMLib/VMMLib/main.log
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: Processing of port vmmlib failed

Re: Installing on Mac OS X

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Nash,

On 11. Sep 2012, at 5:36, Nash [via Software] wrote:

> Apologies if this is obvious, I'm new to macports , having moved from homebrew recently.

No, it isn't. It's a bug which slipped through since I made the change after install VMMLib, but before having figured out the CMake magic for Equalizer.

> Is there a step missing from the instructions?

It was a bug, please update your portfiles and try again. The Portfile was trying to download from the wrong github organization.

Cheers,

Stefan.

Re: Installing on Mac OS X

Nash
Excellent, I'll give that a try and get back to you.

Re: Installing on Mac OS X

Nash
Ahhh, so we're a little further now, but it seems there's a possible dependency or path issue... missing <omp.h> causes the VMM build to fail.

I should specify that I'm attempting on on OSX Mountain Lion.

I've also attached the log output if that helps: vmm_out.log

Thanks again!

Nash

Re: Installing on Mac OS X

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Nash,

On 12. Sep 2012, at 4:20, Nash [via Software] wrote:

> Ahhh, so we're a little further now, but it seems there's a possible dependency or path issue... missing <omp.h> causes the VMM build to fail.

Right, this was already reported at issue #2. Should be fixed and will be release in 1.4.1. I'm afraid now we're leaving the MacPorts path...

> I should specify that I'm attempting on on OSX Mountain Lion.

Right, so you might be in for more of a treat. 10.8 is not yet supported, since we don't have any installation yet. If you feel up to it, it might be faster to clone Buildyard release-1.4.0, do a 'make Equalizer' in there, fix the issues and push them to your github fork of the respective project.

Otherwise we can certainly keep working in this ping-pong fashion, but this might take some time.