GameStack for Mono and Xamarin

nedry
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce GameStack, an open-source toolkit for Mono and Xamarin.iOS/Android. GameStack is for building games, interactive displays and visualization components. It pulls together a number of open source libraries into one package and adds its own facilities. GameStack was originally an internal toolkit, but was recently open sourced and made available on GitHub by my employer. We use Mono and Xamarin heavily in our work, and GameStack is the result of a series of increasingly advanced projects. It's been used to build data visualization components with Xamarin, and on NUCs/embedded PCs with Mono to drive huge interactive touch displays.

Project wiki: http://gamestack.wiki

Unfortunately, most of GameStack's projects were for clients, so I don't have permission to share those. There's a silly little game included among the samples, but we're on the lookout for something more robust to show off with. At least one iPad game will be launching within the next week or two, so we'll add some good screenshots from that.

The top question is likely to be: how is GameStack different from MonoGame? GameStack departs significantly from the XNA API; portability for existing apps wasn't a priority in our case. We desired a high degree of control over the API, feature set and pipeline, and we used real-world projects to help shape it. We don't currently have ambitions to support all the platforms that MonoGame does.

I'm just dipping my toes in the water here, gauging community interest. Your thoughts are welcome!

- Brett

Re: GameStack for Mono and Xamarin

William Ivanski
It seems wonderful, very feature-rich and high quality software.

I'm already looking for a gap in my agenda to try GameStack :)

--
William Ivanski

Re: GameStack for Mono and Xamarin

Bob Summerwill

Hey William,

Thanks for the announcement and for open-sourcing GameStack.

Good to see another open source alternative game framework!

Cheers,
Bob Summerwill

--
William Ivanski