Future of mono

nikhil sehgal
Hi all,

Am just curious to know what's the future of mono framework.are we geting in actively contribution in mono.

Questions come into my mind when I have read somewhere that .net core would eventually replace mono framework.

If that's the case in near future...what would migration plan from mono to .net core?

Regards
Nikhil

Re: [Mono-list] Future of mono

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list

Hello,

Mono and .NET core serve different purposes, so they will continue to be developed together.

Mono’s main use these days is for mobile applications (Android and iOS) as well as providing the .NET Desktop API surface, which is used by existing applications, among those MonoDevelop/Visual Studio for Mac.

.NET core is optimized for high performance web workloads, and server tasks, and will continue to evolve in that direction.

For the last couple of years we have had an effort to reduce duplication code, so improvements into one flow into the other, it has been going great and will continue to advance.

Miguel.

Re: Future of mono

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list

He future of the Mono framework is bright and long! It’s in our core business to support the different platforms that we support today (macOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox, FreeBSD, Haiku, etc.), an. d we are not planning to drop support for any of these platforms any time soon. We are even currently adding support for WebAssembly to be able to run .NET on the Web.

.NET Core and Mono complement each other with Mono going to places where .NET Core doesn’t go. Also, Mono supports different capabilities than .NET Core does and so has different advantages. If you still want to be able to target both runtimes, you should target .NET Standard which is the common bits between and the .NET runtimes (.NET Fx, .NET Core, Mono and .NET Native).

I hope this help, and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to task.

Thank you,

--

Ludovic

Re: Future of mono

Vladimir Dimitrov
Hello,

Having the future of Mono in mind, what are the plans on the support for macOS? If we want to build a GUI that should work on Windows Linux and macOS is still GTK# the best solution? Or are Xamarin.Forms supposed to be better in time? I guess Xwt is not going much further than what we have right now and Xamarin.Forms will probably replace it.

Thank you,
 Vladimir Dimitrov

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 at 10:54 Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Nikhil and myself took this discussion offline, and it is clear that what he would like to is to run an ASP.NET Classic application under a modern .NET Core engine.

I have written up a description of what needs to be done to achieve this, in case someone is interested in this effort:

https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Porting-ASP.NET-Classic-to-Unix-kR6G8sHH0NsDOevHPw914

Sent from Outlook