Equalizer Segment reconfigurability - channel pointer

Equalizer Segment reconfigurability - channel pointer

Evgeny Ilyushkin
Hello Stefan, everyone,

I'm still trying to modify Equalizer to make Segment frusta
updateable at each frame. I've got it to traverse down the Canvas to the
Segment, but it needs а pointer to a channel type.
 eq/fabric/segment.ipp,58:
commitChild< typename CH::Parent >( _channel->getWindow(), incarnation);

the only place I found where segment->setChannel(CH* ch) is called is
loader.cpp/.y on the server side.
What would be the best way for me to provide this value in the
client/app code, and will this let me finally use Segment's setWall()
inside the ...Config::startFrame() ? Just call setChannel() from
eqTerrain::Config::startFrame with the corresponding channel as argument?

Porting our Terrain from Eq1.0 to Eq1.4 is proving to be difficult at
least for me (nobody else cares yet), so I am forced to work with 1.0
for the next month until I submit my bachelor's thesis :(
I'll try to make it into a feature for the latest version after that.

Many thanks and cheers,
Evgeny

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Equalizer Segment reconfigurability - channel pointer

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Evgeny,

On 27. Aug 2012, at 7:32, Evgeny Ilyushkin wrote:

> I've got it to traverse down the Canvas to the
> Segment, but it needs а pointer to a channel type.
> eq/fabric/segment.ipp,58:
> commitChild< typename CH::Parent >( _channel->getWindow(), incarnation);
>
> the only place I found where segment->setChannel(CH* ch) is called is
> loader.cpp/.y on the server side.

Correct, but this is only if you change the channel, which you shouldn't:

    if( Serializable::isDirty( DIRTY_CHANNEL ) && _channel )
        commitChild< typename CH::Parent >( _channel->getWindow(), incarnation);

Why do you think you need the channel? I would imagine your code can simply skip over the if and commit the object, which will serialize the wall!?

> Porting our Terrain from Eq1.0 to Eq1.4 is proving to be difficult at
> least for me (nobody else cares yet), so I am forced to work with 1.0
> for the next month until I submit my bachelor's thesis :(

What's the issue? If you used only @version 1.0 API calls, there should be no change at all (barring any oversight on our end...).

HTH,

Stefan.

On 27. Aug 2012, at 20:49, [hidden email] wrote:

> Speaking of which, what debugger do you use?

I'm going the old-school gdb + emacs route. Others are using QtCreator. Afaik internally they all use gdb.

> Used Buildyard git project, tried master and 1.4 tag.
> after almost trivial header fixes according to CHANGES.txt and GLXWindow to glx::Window
> replacements, everything builds, but I get runtime errors such as:
>
> Main ... Collage/co/localNode.cpp:1014 41 Node unreachable, all connections failed to connect
> PipeDraw1 ... Lunchbox/lunchbox/thread.cpp:426 298 Error binding to cpu set 0x0    (since i compiled with hwloc)
> PipeDraw1 ... Equalizer/libs/eq/client/glx/window.cpp:665 524 GLX_SGI_swap_control not supported, ignoring window swapsync hint UNDEFINED

These are all uncritical.

> eq::server: ... Equalizer/libs/eq/server/configUpdateSyncVisitor.h:115 531 eq::server::Channel initialization failed: Window not running (0x40)

This is a follow-up to:

> eq::server: ... Equalizer/libs/eq/server/configUpdateSyncVisitor.h:115 531 eq::server::Window initialization failed:
> GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc unsupported (0x10001)

This is a custom error your application generates. You should find the return false in your code. Interesting is why this extension is supposedely not supported - some GLEW usage error?

HTH,

Stefan.

Re: Equalizer Segment reconfigurability - channel pointer

Stefan Eilemann
Evgeny, all,

FYI - commit bb94a44 / Issue #194 implements this feature now.

Cheers,

Stefan.