Equalizer Segment reconfigurability at runtime

Equalizer Segment reconfigurability at runtime

Evgeny Ilyushkin
Hello Stefan, everyone,

I'm currently trying to modify Equalizer to make Segment frusta
updateable, but I still can't figure out what triggers the distribution
of the changes.

I've looked at the code of eq::View, eq::fabric::View, eq::Frustum,
Wall, etc. and regretfully all I can see is methods calling
setWall(someNewWall) and adding DIRTY_FRUSTUM to the dirtyBits, which I
tried and it didn't work.

Could you please point me to a place in code where the serialization of
changes to eq::Wall is triggered, and the change actually gets sent to
the server and applied?

Many thanks and best regards,
Sid

On 12. Nov 2011, at 14:02, Lama11 [via Software] wrote:

> We have a system where the walls of a VR system are tracked, we are
using Equalizer for the parallel rendering of the visualization.

> Everytime the physical configuration of the walls change, the Eq
config files are updated.

> Is there a possibility that the Eq reloads the config files on runtime
once they are updated?

Not currently, since changing the physical wall at runtime didn't seem
like a use case. Apparently you guys proved me wrong. ;)

It should be fairly easy to implement. You want to enable changing the
frustum of segments in the same way it is done today for eq::View
frusta. My guess would be a couple of days for this. If you want to
implement this yourself, please fork the project on github and implement
it there. I'll review and merge your changes once you have pushed them.
Otherwise sent me a private email and we can make you an offer to
implement this feature.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Equalizer Segment reconfigurability at runtime

Stefan Eilemann
Hello Evgeny,

On 13. Jul 2012, at 20:03, Evgeny Ilyushkin wrote:

> I've looked at the code of eq::View, eq::fabric::View, eq::Frustum,
> Wall, etc. and regretfully all I can see is methods calling
> setWall(someNewWall) and adding DIRTY_FRUSTUM to the dirtyBits, which I
> tried and it didn't work.

That is necessary, but not enough. Missing is the actual commit which doesn't happen since fabric::Config does not yet traverse down to the segment. See fabric/config.ipp:641-647 and layout.ipp:78 and do similar things for canvas/segment.

HTH,

Stefan.

On 07/16/2012 12:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:06:04 +0200
> From: Stefan Eilemann <[hidden email]>
> To: Equalizer Developer List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [eq-dev] Equalizer Segment reconfigurability at runtime
>
> Hello Evgeny,
>
> On 13. Jul 2012, at 20:03, Evgeny Ilyushkin wrote:
>
>> I've looked at the code of eq::View, eq::fabric::View, eq::Frustum,
>> Wall, etc. and regretfully all I can see is methods calling
>> setWall(someNewWall) and adding DIRTY_FRUSTUM to the dirtyBits, which I
>> tried and it didn't work.
>
> That is necessary, but not enough. Missing is the actual commit which doesn't happen since fabric::Config does not yet traverse down to the segment. See fabric/config.ipp:641-647 and layout.ipp:78 and do similar things for canvas/segment.
>

> HTH,
>
> Stefan.

Thank you very much for pointing out the problem and the code places.
I've looked at the code you specified and I can finally see the missing
parts.

I'm currently working with the 1.0 version of Equalizer that our code
uses, but I will definitely put the changes in the github fork of the
newest version when the feature works.

BR,
 Evgeny

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment