Equalizer 1.4 RC1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Equalizer 1.4 RC1

Stefan Eilemann
Good news everybody,

we're approaching Equalizer 1.4. I've just tagged and uploaded the sources to the website. Binary packages will likely follow next week. I'm planning to release 1.4 within the next couple of weeks. This release contains the following bug fixes over 1.4-beta:

 * 139: Tile compound readback broken<>                                      
 * 120: Async readback deallocation                                          
 * 118: OS X: Async readback doesn't work                                    
 * 137: 1-window.DFR broken                                                  
 * 136: compositor assertion when using custom frames                        
 * 135: Command line option --eq-layout broken                              
 * 131: seqPly --help launches application                                  

Full release notes are here: http://www.equalizergraphics.com/documents/RelNotes/RelNotes_1.3.6.html


Enjoy,

Stefan.


_______________________________________________
eq-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.equalizergraphics.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/eq-dev
http://www.equalizergraphics.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

m0bl0
Hi Stefan,

I finally got around to building 1.4 RC1 (on Windows 7 x64, as always ;) ) from buildyard-1.3.6.

Some remarks/wishes regarding the build process:

CMake complains about some missing dependencies (pkg-config, hwloc, NVCtrl). I got pkg-config by installing GTK+ (though I don't think it was really required?). Judging from the .cmake files, hwloc and NVCtrl are not supported/used on Windows?
Anyway, some hints about this in the readme might be helpful, e.g. "Ignore warnings about missing hwloc, pkg-config, ...".

The automatic downloading/installing of boost did not work correctly for me:
Boost was downloaded from svn, but the path to boost was not setup correctly, so the other projects would not find the headers. Also, the boost binaries were not built, but maybe that's not necessary?
I fixed this by manually building boost and setting the BOOST_ROOT env var.

The build of eqNBody failed with some weird "unresolved external" errors. (I seem to remember that eqNBody also failed to build for me in earlier versions - is this supposed to work?) Unfortunately, that also prevented Equalizer itself from being built. I fixed this by manually setting EQUALIZER_BUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF in Equalizer-1.4-rc1/Equalizer/CMakeCache.txt. Is there a better way to do this? Can I disable only the eqNBody example but still build the others? Is this documented somewhere?!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your feedback - just in time. :)

On 31. Jul 2012, at 11:10, m0bl0 [via Software] wrote:

> CMake complains about some missing dependencies (pkg-config, hwloc, NVCtrl). I got pkg-config by installing GTK+ (though I don't think it was really required?). Judging from the .cmake files, hwloc and NVCtrl are not supported/used on Windows?

Yes, hwloc/NVCtrl are purely optional.

>  Anyway, some hints about this in the readme might be helpful, e.g. "Ignore warnings about missing hwloc, pkg-config, ...".

Will do.

> The automatic downloading/installing of boost did not work correctly for me:
> Boost was downloaded from svn, but the path to boost was not setup correctly, so the other projects would not find the headers. Also, the boost binaries were not built, but maybe that's not necessary?
> I fixed this by manually building boost and setting the BOOST_ROOT env var.

That should (and does for me) work without intervention. What did the Buildyard CMake run say wrt Boost? It should look like this:

--   Boost: use http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/tags/release/Boost_1_49_0:

Afterwards you should have the boost headers in build/install/include and some libs in build/install/lib.

> The build of eqNBody failed with some weird "unresolved external" errors. (I seem to remember that eqNBody also failed to build for me in earlier versions - is this supposed to work?) Unfortunately, that also prevented Equalizer itself from being built. I fixed this by manually setting EQUALIZER_BUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF in Equalizer-1.4-rc1/Equalizer/CMakeCache.txt. Is there a better way to do this? Can I disable only the eqNBody example but still build the others? Is this documented somewhere?!

You can disable CUDA, which is less invasive. I'll see if I can fix it on my end.


Cheers,

Stefan.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

m0bl0
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Stefan Eilemann wrote
That should (and does for me) work without intervention. What did the Buildyard CMake run say wrt Boost? It should look like this:

--   Boost: use http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/tags/release/Boost_1_49_0:
It did say that, and when building the generated .sln, boost was checked out from svn. (Another thing I remembered: The SVN cmdline tools are included by Tortoise, but are not installed by default - might also be worth a remark in the readme?)

Stefan Eilemann wrote
Afterwards you should have the boost headers in build/install/include and some libs in build/install/lib.
This did not happen, though there might still have been some other problem which prevented the build process from ever getting to that point? I'll try again later...

Stefan Eilemann wrote
You can disable CUDA, which is less invasive. I'll see if I can fix it on my end.
So CUDA is used only in this one example, but not in core Equalizer?
Can this be set via the CMake GUI? Is there any documentation on the CMake variables that can be set?

One more thing: By default, the built binaries for Debug and Release are put into the same folder (and have the same names) - is this by design? What is the preferred way if I want both side-by-side?

Thanks,
Marc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

m0bl0
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
m0bl0 wrote
Stefan Eilemann wrote
That should (and does for me) work without intervention. What did the Buildyard CMake run say wrt Boost? It should look like this:

--   Boost: use http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/tags/release/Boost_1_49_0:
It did say that, and when building the generated .sln, boost was checked out from svn. (Another thing I remembered: The SVN cmdline tools are included by Tortoise, but are not installed by default - might also be worth a remark in the readme?)

Stefan Eilemann wrote
Afterwards you should have the boost headers in build/install/include and some libs in build/install/lib.
This did not happen, though there might still have been some other problem which prevented the build process from ever getting to that point? I'll try again later...
I just tried again:
For me, building the 00_Main/Boost project (or 00_Main/AllProjects) only downloads the boost source from SVN and runs the boost bootstrap (i.e. builds the b2.exe etc.), but does not run the actual boost build, and does not put the headers into the install folder. Then, building Equalizer fails with the message:

7>  CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindBoost.cmake:1200 (message):
7>    Unable to find the requested Boost libraries.
7>  
7>    Unable to find the Boost header files.  Please set BOOST_ROOT to the root
7>    directory containing Boost or BOOST_INCLUDEDIR to the directory containing
7>    Boost's headers.
7>  Call Stack (most recent call first):
7>    CMakeLists.txt:77 (find_package)
[...]
7>CUSTOMBUILD : CMake error : The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
7>  Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
7>  Boost_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
7>     used as include directory in directory D:/Libs/asdf/Buildyard-1.3.6/src/Equalizer
[...]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Marc,

On 31. Jul 2012, at 14:20, m0bl0 [via Software] wrote:

> I just tried again:
> For me, building the 00_Main/Boost project (or 00_Main/AllProjects) only downloads the boost source from SVN and runs the boost bootstrap (i.e. builds the b2.exe etc.), but does not run the actual boost build, and does not put the headers into the install folder.

Apparently this is a VS10 issue. It works on my VS08. Daniel sent an email, but this got lost since the mailing list was done for a day. I'll try to dig into this later, unless you are faster.

We tried to with the boost-cmake-git repo, but this has other issues. Feel free to fix this one, it's in the experimental Buildyard branch.


Cheers,

Stefan.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

Stefan Eilemann
In reply to this post by m0bl0

On 31. Jul 2012, at 12:18, m0bl0 [via Software] wrote:

> One more thing: By default, the built binaries for Debug and Release are put into the same folder (and have the same names) - is this by design? What is the preferred way if I want both side-by-side?

Windows-ism. :) On other platforms one uses one Build dir per debug/release. Robert wanted to implemented debug extensions for Windows, but hasn't pushed anything yet. I'm not fully convinced this is the right approach, but wouldn't mind it on Windows.


Cheers,

Stefan.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Equalizer 1.4 RC1

Daniel Nachbaur-2
In reply to this post by Stefan Eilemann
> Apparently this is a VS10 issue. It works on my VS08. Daniel sent an email, but this got lost since the mailing list was done for a day. I'll try to dig into this later, unless you are faster.

I try again pushing to this mailing list...

Building with Visual Studio 2010 has an issue with the boost build.
What worked for me was to explicitly build the 'Boost-buildonly'
target to actually get the binaries built. I don't
know why, because the it works fine with VS2008 without that much hassle.

Cheers,
Daniel

_______________________________________________
eq-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.equalizergraphics.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/eq-dev
http://www.equalizergraphics.com