Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

andresp
Hi,

While trying to trace down a bug in my application (running fine on MS .NET
and broken on Mono) caused by a third party dependency, I've found this
error when moving the 3rd party dependency code to my application:

"Error CS1061: 'System.Net.Http.HttpContent' does not contain a definition
for 'ReadAsAsync' and no extension method 'ReadAsAsync' accepting a first
argument of type 'System.Net.Http.HttpContent' could be found (are you
missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) (CS1061)
(MonoCSharpBug)"

This ReadAsAsync method is an extension method defined in MS .NET in
System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions. Does Mono support it? If yes, how can
I add it to the project?

Thanks

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

andresp
So assuming that Mono doesn't support that class, I've tried to add it
myself, but I've also found these incompatibilities (running on Xamarin Mono
/ .NET 4.5 target framework):

Error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Formatting' does not exist in the
namespace 'System.Net.Http' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
(CS0234) (MonoCSharpBug)

and

Error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Http' does not exist in the
namespace 'System.Web' (are you missing an assembly reference?) (CS0234)
(MonoCSharpBug)

Searching the web it appears that these two namespaces should be supported
by Mono:

http://www.mono-project.com/Release_Notes_Mono_3.0

I've tried to find the package to include in Xamarin but there is no
System.Web.Http or System.Net.Http.Formatting there.

Is this really unsupported too, or am I doing something wrong?

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

andresp
Although there are no System.Net.Http.Formatting and System.Web.Http packages
on Xamarin

http://i.imgur.com/kBN1IiC.png

I was able to add them manually from my local Mono installation, but even
though I could compile and run the application, I then get a runtime error:

System.AggregateException:
Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies
'System.Net.Http.Formatting, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Strong name validation failed. (HRESULT:
0x8013141A)

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

Martin Thwaites
Can you provide may a code sample we could drop into an App to show what it is you're trying to do?

I know Async stuff is something that is missing in a few places, but not sure if this is one.

Not sure I'll have time to look into it, but that may help someone else do it.

Martin

On 19 July 2014 17:10, andresp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Although there are no System.Net.Http.Formatting and System.Web.Http packages
on Xamarin

http://i.imgur.com/kBN1IiC.png

I was able to add them manually from my local Mono installation, but even
though I could compile and run the application, I then get a runtime error:

System.AggregateException:
Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies
'System.Net.Http.Formatting, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Strong name validation failed. (HRESULT:
0x8013141A)

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

andresp
Hi Martin,

Sure. This is the last version of my sample test class where I've moved what I though might be breaking the compatibility between a running application on MS .NET and a broken application on Mono. I've since confirmed it is not the case as running the MS .NET compiled code with Mono works correctly. Still can't find a way to do this in Xamarin with Mono libraries.

http://pastebin.com/rCgFkBCi

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM, martinJT [via Mono] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

NAML

Sent from the Mono - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

andresp
Regarding the problems that might be affecting my original application, I've created a new sample project which runs fine on MS .NET and breaks with the following output on Mono:

http://pastebin.com/zrsuAFJj

You can download the VS project here (the same thing happens with an equivalent F# project):
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9C417A2B6298C81%21127

On the original application nothing is printed out to console on Mono (the application just hangs there), but I suppose it is just being hidden somewhere...

Note: The 3rd party dependencies is just a Soundcloud API client ( https://www.nuget.org/packages/Ewk.SoundCloud.ApiLibrary/1.1.4809.41996 )

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:38 PM, André Pinto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

nedry
Last time I ran into that exception, I had to install the standard certificate roots using "mozroots --install".

Hope this helps,

- Brett

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:37:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: andresp <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Mono-list] Does Mono support
        System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

Regarding the problems that might be affecting my original application,
I've created a new sample project which runs fine on MS .NET and breaks
with the following output on Mono:

http://pastebin.com/zrsuAFJj

You can download the VS project here (the same thing happens with an
equivalent F# project):
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9C417A2B6298C81%21127

On the original application nothing is printed out to console on Mono (the
application just hangs there), but I suppose it is just being hidden
somewhere...

Note: The 3rd party dependencies is just a Soundcloud API client (
https://www.nuget.org/packages/Ewk.SoundCloud.ApiLibrary/1.1.4809.41996 )

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Andr? Pinto <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Sure. This is the last version of my sample test class where I've moved
> what I though might be breaking the compatibility between a running
> application on MS .NET and a broken application on Mono. I've since
> confirmed it is not the case as running the MS .NET compiled code with Mono
> works correctly. Still can't find a way to do this in Xamarin with Mono
> libraries.
>
> http://pastebin.com/rCgFkBCi
>

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM, martinJT [via Mono] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Can you provide may a code sample we could drop into an App to show what
>> it is you're trying to do?
>>
>> I know Async stuff is something that is missing in a few places, but not
>> sure if this is one.
>>
>> Not sure I'll have time to look into it, but that may help someone else
>> do it.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On 19 July 2014 17:10, andresp <[hidden email]
>> <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4663380&i=0>> wrote:
>>
>>> Although there are no System.Net.Http.Formatting and System.Web.Http
>>> packages
>>> on Xamarin
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/kBN1IiC.png
>>>
>>> I was able to add them manually from my local Mono installation, but even
>>> though I could compile and run the application, I then get a runtime
>>> error:
>>>
>>> System.AggregateException:
>>> Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies
>>> 'System.Net.Http.Formatting, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
>>> PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Strong name validation failed.
>>> (HRESULT:
>>> 0x8013141A)
>>>

>>> --

>> System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?, click here
>> < >> .
>> NAML
>> <
http://mono.1490590.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

End of Mono-list Digest, Vol 111, Issue 12

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

andresp
Thanks Brett, but I had no luck.

On Linux:

"usr/lib/mono/4.5$ sudo mozroots --import --sync
Mozilla Roots Importer - version 3.2.8.0
Download and import trusted root certificates from Mozilla's MXR.
Copyright 2002, 2003 Motus Technologies. Copyright 2004-2008 Novell. BSD licensed.

Downloading from 'http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt?raw=1'...
Importing certificates into user store...
Import process completed."

Ran the program and got the same error.

On Windows id doesn't even import the certificates:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono-3.2.3\lib\mono\4.5>mozroots --import --sync
Mozilla Roots Importer - version 3.3.0.0
Download and import trusted root certificates from Mozilla's MXR.
Copyright 2002, 2003 Motus Technologies. Copyright 2004-2008 Novell. BSD licensed.

Downloading from 'http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt?raw=1'...
Couldn't retrieve the file using the supplied information.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono-3.2.3\lib\mono\4.5>mozroots --import
Mozilla Roots Importer - version 3.3.0.0
Download and import trusted root certificates from Mozilla's MXR.
Copyright 2002, 2003 Motus Technologies. Copyright 2004-2008 Novell. BSD licensed.

Downloading from 'http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt?raw=1'...
Importing certificates into user store...
Error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   in Mono.Security.X509.X509Certificate.get_Hash()
   in Mono.Security.X509.X509CertificateCollection.IndexOf(X509Certificate value)
   in Mono.Security.X509.X509CertificateCollection.Contains(X509Certificate value)
   in Mono.Tools.MozRoots.Process()
   in Mono.Tools.MozRoots.Main(String[] args)
"

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:37:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: andresp <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Sure. This is the last version of my sample test class where I've moved
> what I though might be breaking the compatibility between a running
> application on MS .NET and a broken application on Mono. I've since
> confirmed it is not the case as running the MS .NET compiled code with Mono
> works correctly. Still can't find a way to do this in Xamarin with Mono
> libraries.
>
> http://pastebin.com/rCgFkBCi
>

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM, martinJT [via Mono] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Can you provide may a code sample we could drop into an App to show what
>> it is you're trying to do?
>>
>> I know Async stuff is something that is missing in a few places, but not
>> sure if this is one.
>>
>> Not sure I'll have time to look into it, but that may help someone else
>> do it.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On 19 July 2014 17:10, andresp <[hidden email]
>> <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4663380&i=0>> wrote:
>>
>>> Although there are no System.Net.Http.Formatting and System.Web.Http
>>> packages
>>> on Xamarin
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/kBN1IiC.png
>>>
>>> I was able to add them manually from my local Mono installation, but even
>>> though I could compile and run the application, I then get a runtime
>>> error:
>>>
>>> System.AggregateException:
>>> Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies
>>> 'System.Net.Http.Formatting, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
>>> PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Strong name validation failed.
>>> (HRESULT:
>>> 0x8013141A)
>>>

>>> --

>> System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?, click here
>> <
>> .
>> NAML
>> <
http://mono.1490590.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

End of Mono-list Digest, Vol 111, Issue 12
NAML

Sent from the Mono - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Does Mono support System.Net.Http.HttpContentExtensions?

nedry
(Sorry if this comes through twice, browser crashed while sending).

In these kinds of situations I've often found strace (or dtruss on Mac) to be helpful. Could reveal if it's failing to open/find some resource. Also, I've had weird problems with secure connections when some dependency or nuget package includes an old version of Mono.Security.dll. I'd make sure there are no local copies of that dll floating around.

- Brett

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM, andresp <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you again Brett.

I've done so but the output doesn't look much helpful (at least for me, but I confess I don't understand much of what is being printed by strace).

Here is the stderr output for the C# project I've included in this thread:
http://pastebin.com/VKGSFwXq

I've also tried the same in the "real" application but in that case the output of strace also stops as soon as the "blocking" operation is triggered (it happens when making an HTTP request during the handling of another HTTP request).

Thanks!

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:24 AM, nedry [via Mono] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Timotheus Pokorra
Hello Andre,

> I've also tried the same in the "real" application but in that case the
> output of strace also stops as soon as the "blocking" operation is triggered
> (it happens when making an HTTP request during the handling of another HTTP
> request).
This reminds me of this bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11833
(HttpWebRequest times out when called in fastcgi-mono-server4, thread issue).
There is a fix for it, but as far as I know it was removed from master
again and has not been added back.

Timotheus