Debugging managed code launched via embedded API

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Debugging managed code launched via embedded API

Jonathan Mitchell
I execute my managed code from a C app via the embedded API.
Is it possible to attach the debugger to the running process in such a way that I can step through the managed code?

Thanks

Jonathan













_______________________________________________
Mono-list maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debugging managed code launched via embedded API

Jonathan Mitchell

On 28 Aug 2014, at 17:40, Bob Summerwill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should just be able to do Run | Attach to Process ..., and your host application should show up.
>
> Your scenario is exactly the same as Unity3D, used by millions of developers every day (except with a non-Frankensteined Mono runtime and MonoDevelop!)
>
Hmm…

1. Xamarin studio 5.2.1 doesn’t seem to feature the Attach to Process option under Run.
2. My app is 64 bit Obj-C which loads a 64 bit build of Mono. Will that put the kibosh on using the IDE even if I can attach to the process?

Thanks

Jonathan
_______________________________________________
Mono-list maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debugging managed code launched via embedded API

Bob Summerwill

This is on a Mac host, I assume, based on your Obj-C usage?

I'm running Xamarin Studio 5.2.1 right now and my MacBook Air and do have that option.   As for 64-bit, I'm not sure.   Somebody else will need to answer that.


Cheers,
Bob Summerwill
Kitsilano Software


On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Jonathan Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Aug 2014, at 17:40, Bob Summerwill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should just be able to do Run | Attach to Process ..., and your host application should show up.
>
> Your scenario is exactly the same as Unity3D, used by millions of developers every day (except with a non-Frankensteined Mono runtime and MonoDevelop!)
>
Hmm…

1. Xamarin studio 5.2.1 doesn’t seem to feature the Attach to Process option under Run.
2. My app is 64 bit Obj-C which loads a 64 bit build of Mono. Will that put the kibosh on using the IDE even if I can attach to the process?

Thanks

Jonathan
_______________________________________________
Mono-list maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list



--
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
Mono-list maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debugging managed code launched via embedded API

Jonathan Mitchell

On 29 Aug 2014, at 11:48, Bob Summerwill <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> This is on a Mac host, I assume, based on your Obj-C usage?
Correct.
>
> I'm running Xamarin Studio 5.2.1 right now and my MacBook Air and do have that option.   As for 64-bit, I'm not sure.   Somebody else will need to answer that.
>
Attach to process is not available here. Anyone have any idea why?

Thanks

Jonathan
_______________________________________________
Mono-list maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list