CodeDomProvider calls mcs

R Zaghi
I was under the impression that with Mono using the CodeDomProvider would mean using the required runtime assemblies to compile code at runtime without depending on mcs or any external process.

But I think this assumption is wrong and using CodeDomProvider actually does an exec() or fork() of new process to call the mcs that is on the system.

Could someone who is familiar please comment?
Is this always the case or do I have some sort of a setting/configuration/manifest causing this?

What I was looking for was a way of "compiling" user scripts into permanent "plugin" DLL files on disk that can be quickly loaded and used at a later point (Mono.CSharp can't do this right?).

And I would prefer if this didn't make my application depend on installing a full C# compiler on the system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ramin

Re: CodeDomProvider calls mcs

Robert Jordan
On 07.12.2017 06:46, R Zaghi wrote:
> Could someone who is familiar please comment?
> Is this always the case or do I have some sort of a
> setting/configuration/manifest causing this?

This behavior is by design, and it cannot be changed via configuration.

> What I was looking for was a way of "compiling" user scripts into
> permanent "plugin" DLL files on disk that can be quickly loaded and used
> at a later point (Mono.CSharp can't do this right?).

You may want to look at Roslyn (.NET Compiler Platform), which
is supposed to support this kind of operation (in-proc compilation).

Robert

Re: CodeDomProvider calls mcs

R Zaghi
Thanks Robert. I may have out dated information but a couple of articles I read said Roslyn was not feature complete yet.
So I went to this page:

and all I can see is a roadmap for C# 7+.
Does that mean it supports up to 7.0 fairly well now?

R.

Ramin Zaghi

Mosaic3DX™ | User Interface Technology
St John's Innovation Centre,