Building on Windows

reedev
Hi,

After a long time, I would like to get into equalizer again and wanted
to build equalizer for windows 8 (and soon linux) since the releases and
nightly builds are outdated. Is there documentation how I should
configure cmake for buildyard (the options are overwhelming)? My first
goal is to have a minimal set for equalizer osg apps. I am following the
short instructions from README.md on https://github.com/Eyescale/Equalizer

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Raymond

Re: Building on Windows

Stefan Eilemann
Hi,

On 9. Jul 2014, at 15:06, Raymond de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After a long time, I would like to get into equalizer again and wanted to build equalizer for windows 8 (and soon linux) since the releases and nightly builds are outdated. Is there documentation how I should configure cmake for buildyard (the options are overwhelming)? My first goal is to have a minimal set for equalizer osg apps. I am following the short instructions from README.md on https://github.com/Eyescale/Equalizer

Unfortunately I'm no longer building regularly on Windows, so the following is almost second-hand knowledge.

I highly suggest using the BoostPro installer. IIRC CMake should pick boost up then.

I typically do the Buildyard cmake run from the git shell. If something isn't picked up, BY should inform you. After that, building the created VS sln should work as expected.

HTH,

Stefan.

Re: Building on Windows

reedev
Hi Stefan,

> Op Jul 10, 2014 om 11:09 heeft Stefan Eilemann <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 9. Jul 2014, at 15:06, Raymond de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> After a long time, I would like to get into equalizer again and wanted to build equalizer for windows 8 (and soon linux) since the releases and nightly builds are outdated. Is there documentation how I should configure cmake for buildyard (the options are overwhelming)? My first goal is to have a minimal set for equalizer osg apps. I am following the short instructions from README.md on https://github.com/Eyescale/Equalizer
>
> Unfortunately I'm no longer building regularly on Windows, so the following is almost second-hand knowledge.
Ok, understood, this is also good so that I know what to expect.

Maybe others can write some starter windows specific notes?

> I highly suggest using the BoostPro installer. IIRC CMake should pick boost up then.
Yes, I read about BoostPro but that seems stopped.

> I typically do the Buildyard cmake run from the git shell. If something isn't picked up, BY should inform you. After that, building the created VS sln should work as expected.
Ok, I see. I am reading about BY.

Thnx all
Raaymond

> HTH,
>
> Stefan.

Re: Building on Windows

Robert Hauck
Hi Raaymond

I compile it on Windows, and I am currently again on building a newer version. I use VS2013 x64. I don't use buildyard, I build the 6 libs (vmmlib, lunchbox, HWSD, GLStats, collage and Equalizer) myself (I integrated them into Cmake external project). I have a boost version, and set for each of the libs BOOST_ROOT, so they find it. I also set e.g. Lunchbox_DIR, so that Equalizer can find Lunchbox. I haven't figured out how to use Buildyard and to integrate it in my Cmake process. It always fails on something, but hadn't the time to look into it.

However, with HWSD 1.1.0, i get a linker error (see other forum post). So I used the older versions, but there GLStats 0.1 is missing boost, so I had to add an include dir for boost (GLStats includes IIRC types.h from Lunchbox, which needs boost foreach).

Maybe Stefan can have a look at this problem with HWSD? It fails when it wants to create the instance (hwsd/net/sys/module.cpp, ln 73).

Hope this helps
Robert

Re: Building on Windows

reedev
Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing and confirming that BY does not need to be used perse. I will go the same route as you use, building the separate dependancies myself.

Did you adapt the cmake config of equalizer in order to skip the BY?

Cheers
Raymond

Sent from my iPhone

> Op Jul 10, 2014 om 12:08 heeft Robert Hauck <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Raaymond
>
> I compile it on Windows, and I am currently again on building a newer
> version. I use VS2013 x64. I don't use buildyard, I build the 6 libs
> (vmmlib, lunchbox, HWSD, GLStats, collage and Equalizer) myself (I
> integrated them into Cmake external project). I have a boost version, and
> set for each of the libs BOOST_ROOT, so they find it. I also set e.g.
> Lunchbox_DIR, so that Equalizer can find Lunchbox. I haven't figured out how
> to use Buildyard and to integrate it in my Cmake process. It always fails on
> something, but hadn't the time to look into it.
>
> However, with HWSD 1.1.0, i get a linker error (see other forum post). So I
> used the older versions, but there GLStats 0.1 is missing boost, so I had to
> add an include dir for boost (GLStats includes IIRC types.h from Lunchbox,
> which needs boost foreach).
>
> Maybe Stefan can have a look at this problem with HWSD? It fails when it
> wants to create the instance (hwsd/net/sys/module.cpp, ln 73).
>
> Hope this helps
> Robert

Re: Building on Windows

Robert Hauck
Hi Raymond

I didn't change the Cmake files (besides GLstats). I don't have git in my path, so it can't download anything from BY, it just works for me. There is also an option, DISABLE_BUILDYARD, I guess you can enable this and then BY should also do nothing... I enabled it for all eq libs.

Cheers,
Robert

Re: Building on Windows

reedev
Hi Robert,

I have been trying to build lunchbox but it seems that it needs some
tweaking too. For instance, it seems that the CMake directory is not
complete or so since it seems to need the directory 'common' as it's
included in the lunchbox's CMakeLists.txt

Could you double check or correct me?

cheers
Raymond

On 7/10/2014 1:02 PM, Robert Hauck wrote:

> Hi Raymond
>
> I didn't change the Cmake files (besides GLstats). I don't have git in my
> path, so it can't download anything from BY, it just works for me. There is
> also an option, DISABLE_BUILDYARD, I guess you can enable this and then BY
> should also do nothing... I enabled it for all eq libs.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert

Re: Building on Windows

Stefan Eilemann
Hi Raymond,

On 16. Jul 2014, at 9:29, reedev [via Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been trying to build lunchbox but it seems that it needs some
> tweaking too. For instance, it seems that the CMake directory is not
> complete or so since it seems to need the directory 'common' as it's
> included in the lunchbox's CMakeLists.txt

This is an external repository (similar to svn::externals) cloned early in the top-level CMakelists by GitExternals.

HTH,

Stefan.
--
http://www.eyescale.ch
https://github.com/Eyescale/

Re: Building on Windows

Robert Hauck
Hi Raymond

Ok, I see. I use the zip files, for Lunchbox it's 1.8.1 which you can download from github/Lunchbox in the releases section. Obviously, all directories are there, so I didn't run into this problem. HTH, Robert

Re: Building on Windows

reedev
Hi Robert,

Aha, interesting. But where did you get that one? ;-) The links on the
website don't reveal them (and the link to 1.6 links to 1.8.0 ;) )

cheers
Raymond

On 7/16/2014 5:07 PM, Robert Hauck wrote:

> Hi Raymond
>
> Ok, I see. I use the zip files, for Lunchbox it's 1.8.1 which you can
> download from github/Lunchbox in the releases section. Obviously, all
> directories are there, so I didn't run into this problem. HTH, Robert

Re: Building on Windows

Robert Hauck
Have a look here:

https://github.com/Eyescale/Lunchbox/releases

And the other projects are also there, under Eyescale :-)

Cheers,
Robert

Re: Building on Windows

reedev
Thanks! I have been looking in a lot of locations but missed an important one :-)

Cheers
Raymond

Sent from my iPhone