Building mono-core

Neale Ferguson
Hi,
 I found the 5.8 src rpm (thanks Rick). I attempted a build and failed as %files specified several *.pdb files that didn’t get built as well as Btls which need to be narch’d until I push my boringssl changes (attached if you are interested). Do I just exclude the pdb files or should they have been created?

Neale

boringssl-s390x.patch (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
Hey Neale, would you mind opening a pull request on GitHub with the BTLS changes for s390x?

Could you please list which pdb's it complains about?

- Alex

On 1 Feb 2018, at 21:44, Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
 I found the 5.8 src rpm (thanks Rick). I attempted a build and failed as %files specified several *.pdb files that didn’t get built as well as Btls which need to be narch’d until I push my boringssl changes (attached if you are interested). Do I just exclude the pdb files or should they have been created?

Neale
<boringssl-s390x.patch>_______________________________________________
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.dot.net%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmono-devel-list&data=02%7C01%7Calkpli%40microsoft.com%7C610dc093fbc64bc2c02e08d569b4952f%7Cee3303d7fb734b0c8589bcd847f1c277%7C1%7C0%7C636531146681680559&sdata=i%2F%2BvWDlihuRzezu%2F30qCsFRFqb4BPZi7PZfgprkQtyw%3D&reserved=0

Re: Building mono-core

Neale Ferguson

Hey Neale, would you mind opening a pull request on GitHub with the BTLS changes for s390x?
- Will do. I’ll checkout the latest copy and reapply

Could you please list which pdb's it complains about?
- All of them. No pdb files are created for the s390x build. What are they and how are the created?

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
This is the PR template that was inherited from the upstream repo, I just changed the copy in our fork :)

For the PDBs: they are only generated by Roslyn csc which I think isn't the default on s390x. However, we shouldn't _require_ them anywhere, it should fallback to picking the .mdb's from mcs.
Could you please post a full build log?

- Alex

On 2 Feb 2018, at 17:29, Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I cloned mono/boringssl, created a branch, made my changes, committed and pushed them. When I went to generate a PR:

Please do not send pull requests to the BoringSSL repository.

We do, however, take contributions gladly.

Thanks!

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
Which %files entry are you talking about?

I got rid of the pdbs from the %files sections and rebuilt so the logs have been overwritten. I just replaced the %files entries that had xxxx.exe* with xxxx.* as that would work for exe/exe.so/pdb/mdb.

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
Ahh, sorry, you're talking about the mono-core.spec :D

Yes, replacing .pdb there should work. I guess we can take that improvement as well?

From: Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 2, 2018 at 11:01 AM
To: Alexander Köplinger <[hidden email]>
Cc: Mono-Devel <[hidden email]>

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.dot.net%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmono-devel-list&data=02%7C01%7Calkpli%40microsoft.com%7C567cbcd1c9c6445403b108d56a5bd6d4%7Cee3303d7fb734b0c8589bcd847f1c277%7C1%7C0%7C636531865043986428&sdata=BNnIEDEN9CBA%2B0u6728E2pNoU17%2B13mF38%2BKOJ0bL0s%3D&reserved=0

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
Hm, that's a packaging question for Jo (added on CC).

What’s the proposed fix for msbuild living in –devel and msbuild? Will msbuild contain all the Roslyn stuff that can be removed from -devel?

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
Relevant pull request: https://github.com/mono/mono/pull/5251

Mono is now the canonical home of Roslyn, and MSbuild uses the Mono-provided binaries, not its own.

Sent from Outlook

Hm, that's a packaging question for Jo (added on CC).

What’s the proposed fix for msbuild living in –devel and msbuild? Will msbuild contain all the Roslyn stuff that can be removed from -devel?

Re: Building mono-core

Neale Ferguson
I assume System.Reflection.Metadata.dll is still housed at Microsoft and the big-endian fix for it that enables Roslyn to run is still to surface?

From: Jo Shields <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:42 PM
To: Alexander Köplinger <[hidden email]>, Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]>

Relevant pull request: https://github.com/mono/mono/pull/5251

Mono is now the canonical home of Roslyn, and MSbuild uses the Mono-provided binaries, not its own.

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
Looks like corefx owns it. I don't see an open issue on GH about it though? Am I looking in the wrong place, Alex?

From: Jo Shields <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:42 PM
To: Alexander Köplinger <[hidden email]>, Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]>

Relevant pull request: https://github.com/mono/mono/pull/5251

Mono is now the canonical home of Roslyn, and MSbuild uses the Mono-provided binaries, not its own.

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
If I remember correctly the issue was fixed in System.Reflection.Metadata.dll but Roslyn still needed to pick up the fixed version. That might have happened in the meantime, best to just try :)

From: Jo Shields <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:42 PM
To: Alexander Köplinger <[hidden email]>, Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]>

Relevant pull request: https://github.com/mono/mono/pull/5251

Mono is now the canonical home of Roslyn, and MSbuild uses the Mono-provided binaries, not its own.

Re: Building mono-core

Neale Ferguson
Did. Still throwing the “Not little endian” exception.

If I remember correctly the issue was fixed in System.Reflection.Metadata.dll but Roslyn still needed to pick up the fixed version. That might have happened in the meantime, best to just try :)

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list
I guess the question is "whose System.Reflection.Metadata is used, when, by whom?" i.e. where does the fix exist and not exist?

Sent from Outlook

Did. Still throwing the “Not little endian” exception.

If I remember correctly the issue was fixed in System.Reflection.Metadata.dll but Roslyn still needed to pick up the fixed version. That might have happened in the meantime, best to just try :)

Did. Still throwing the “Not little endian” exception.

If I remember correctly the issue was fixed in System.Reflection.Metadata.dll but Roslyn still needed to pick up the fixed version. That might have happened in the meantime, best to just try :)

Re: Building mono-core

Ludovic Henry (XAMARIN) via Mono-devel-list

Unfortunately, it’s still the case. It’s on their todo list but it has not been yet done.

Marek

From: Alexander Köplinger <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, 2 February 2018 at 14:35
To: Neale Ferguson <[hidden email]>