Accessing shared file system

talentless
Hello

I wrote a small test c# program

/mnt/tcdisk/videos contains a mounted cifs filesystem. Outside of mono, I
can operate with this filesystem normally, with the same user as I am trying
to run this test program.

Execution:

So test.txt could be correctly created & written but cannot be listed. Is
there any considerations you need to have when using filesystem IO APIs in
regards to accessing shares? I have no knowledge on c# or .NET tech, just
trying to find out why some other mono apps are not working from me.

Thanks.

Re: Accessing shared file system

talentless
By the way, this is Debian Jessie with distro packaged mono 3. Also tried the
apps, on mono-project packaged mono 4 and giving me the same problems. ARM
platform.

Re: Accessing shared file system

Jacek Rużyczka
Hi,

I am no expert on CIFS / Windows shares, but a very common issue with
shared file systems are insufficient privileges on the shared system.
Remember that to get the contents of a directory listed, you will need
the x (execute) privilege. If you only have rw-, you can read files from
a dir and write files into it, but not list the files inside the
directory.

Regards
Jacek

Am Samstag, den 18.03.2017, 10:25 -0700 schrieb talentless:

> By the way, this is Debian Jessie with distro packaged mono 3. Also tried the
> apps, on mono-project packaged mono 4 and giving me the same problems. ARM
> platform.

Re: Accessing shared file system

talentless
Thanks, some info regarding permissions:

Re: Accessing shared file system

talentless
It seems to be platform specific.

Tested this debian jessie based scenarios:

On amd64 it works (kernel 3.16...)
On Raspberry Pi with OSMC it works (kernel 4.4...)
On Vero4K with OSMC (Kernel 3.14...) is not working.

If anyone has an idea about possible kernel compatibility issues, I would
appreciate advise.

Thanks!

Re: Accessing shared file system

talentless
Following the suggestion of the platform provider, I think I found the source
of the problem. Vero4K is running a aarch64 kernel, while I am running the
armhf build of mono. The system is able to run 32 bit applications but I
guess not with 100% compatibility:

Now I have two questions:

- There are arm64 packages available in mono-project repository but I don't
know if this is compatible with aarch64.
- There are no arm64 packages for wheezy-apache24-compat and
wheezy-libjpeg62-compat repos.

Re: Accessing shared file system

talentless
It looks like I cannot take the 64 bit on this platform as whole userland is
32 bit even though kernel is 64 bit.

Another option is to compile mono for armhf with large file system support.
I would be nice if the 32 bits packages had this enabled by default.

Other possible workaround as detailed in the mount.cifs man page: